Saturday, October 15, 2011

How I Caught My First Largemouth Bass

When learning about fishing or watching fishing videos people always say how exciting catching largemouth bass is. As a beginner fisherman I’ve never had the experience of catching one until this past weekend when I finally hooked one. Here’s how it went down.
My friend and I decided we were going to go fishing. So we packed up and left early Saturday mourning for Kensico Reservoir. I like going fishing there since it’s only 40 minutes from NYC. Not only that but there’s lake trout in Kensico Reservoir and that is actually the fish I wanted to catch. We got there early in the mourning about 6:30am. The sun just started to come up but it was still dark outside. 
When we got by the water I decided to go with a bright type of lure since it was still dark. I pulled out a gold color South Bend Kast-A-Way Spoon. I heard trout like to go for spoons. I casted it out couple of times and I actually hooked a small fish on it but it fell off the hook before I could get a good look at it.  It might of been a small trout about six or seven inches. I kept on casting out spoons of different color, sizes and shapes. My goal was to get me a trout. But after about two hours of trying I haven’t got anything so I reached into my tackle box for some other lures.
I’ve reached for the Rapalla Rattler 05 Lipless Crankbait which I purchased recently. It’s a light blue and white lipless crankbait with a BB rattler inside. I casted it out couple of times and nothing, but I was impressed with the movement it made in the water. I told myself that I’ll cast it out maybe once more before I’ll move on when over a sudden it happened. 
I got a strike. So I pulled back on my fishing rod and started to reel in. As I did, the fish leaped out of the water. My first thought was “this has to be a largemouth bass” because I know they like to put up a fight. My reel was loose enough so that the fish could take off as much line as it wanted and this bass did just that. The reel kept on lousing line as I was pulling the fish in. When the it was about 6 feet from me that’s when I was sure I caught my first large mouth bass.
I pulled it out of the water. It was about 12 inches long and I would say about a pound or so. Maybe it wasn’t the biggest large mouthbass in the world but it was big enough as the first bass that I caught. Let’s see if I can get something bigger next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment